Recover From “BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0”

Some people might have had a problem when their ramdisk boot was not successful. This happens in some rare cases, the ramdisk has been uploaded but for some reason the phone didn’t boot, and you turn it off manually, or your computer had a power failure during the ramdisk boot. In such rare cases, your phone may end up with an endless message:

BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0

The reason this happens is because in the above situations, ramdisk image has been written to phone’s memory, and phone has been told to boot from memory, but when you boot the phone manually, the ramdisk image no longer exists in memory, so the boot from memory will definitely fail.

UPDATE: Take the following steps to put phone back into recovery mode first:

1. Make sure phone is connected to computer, and is displaying “BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0”
2. Disconnect phone from computer
3. Power off phone
4. Press and hold Home button, connect phone to computer (don’t release Home yet), it’ll start booting
5. Wait till phone displays iTunes + USB cable icon, you may release Home now

At this point, you have several choices:

Choice 1. Continue from last failure point
Choice 2. Give up old process
Choice 3. Use other tools
Choice 4. Restore phone

Choice 1: Continue from last failure point

To continue from the last failure point, fire up iLiberty+ and “Go for it” without selecting any payloads (except Jailbreak), it’ll pick up the old payload you have uploaded in the last failed process, and execute it.

Choice 2: Give up old process

You should know that the payload you have upload is still there at this point, if you don’t want to continue it, you have to tell iLiberty+ to remove it. Take these steps to make it:

1. Fire up iLiberty+ and “Jump Out of Recovery Mode”
2. Select at least one payload (besides Jailbreak) and “Go for it”

Choice 3: Use other tools

If you wanna use other tools, you may have to get phone back into normal state (depending on the tool you’re going to use), you may use a tool that supports serial commands to get phone back to normal state, e.g., iLiberty+, iPHUC, etc.

To use iLiberty+, press Jump Out of Recovery Mode button.
To use iPHUC, issue the following commands:

(iPHUC Recovery) #: cmd setenv boot-args “”
(iPHUC Recovery) #: cmd saveenv
(iPHUC Recovery) #: cmd fsboot

Wait for a few seconds, it’ll kick phone back into normal mode.

Please remember, although your phone has come back to normal state, the payload you have uploaded during the last process has not been removed, so you’ll notice some space lost depending on what payloads you have selected. To remove the payloads manually, go to /var/mobile/Media folder and remove payload.zip.

Choice 4: Restore

Fire up iLiberty+ and press Enter DFU Mode button to put phone into DFU mode, then use iTunes to restore it.

The following are the old contents which do the similar thing as describe above

The way to bring phone out of the above situation is simple, I can think of 3 ways:

Method 1: Use iLiberty+ “go for it” without any options (except Jailbreak) checked.

Method 2: Boot with another ramdisk and set back the booting parameter so that phone won’t try to boot from memory next time.

Method 3: Restore with iTunes.

Method 1

This requires you to manually put phone into recovery mode, follow these steps:

2. Disconnect phone from computer
3. Power off phone
5. Wait till phone displays iTunes + USB cable icon, you may release Home now

Now fire up iLiberty+, then directly click Go for it button, it’ll boot phone and try to continue your previous operations.

Method 2

If you don’t want to continue the failed operations and just want to bring your phone out of this mode. You may use a special ramdisk to make it. I will put on such a ramdisk soon. This emergency ramdisk will be included in the next update as a standard component. Use the boot customized ramdisk feature (in Other Tools) to boot the special ramdisk and your phone will be fine after ramdisk boot, nothing is changed.

UPDATE: Here’s the emergency ramdisk: Emergency Ramdisk

Please decompress the emergency ramdisk into iLiberty+ installation folder (normally C:\Program Files\iLiberty), you’ll have a file called Emergency.dmg in that folder. Then take the following steps:

2. Disconnect phone from computer
3. Power off phone
5. Wait till phone displays iTunes + USB cable icon, you may release Home now

Your phone is now in recovery mode. Now take the following steps:

6. Start iLiberty+, it should display Recovery Mode at the lower right corner of status bar. Goto Other Tools tab, select the Emergency.dmg into customized ramdisk, make sure Prepend Data is checked, then click Boot It, it will boot your phone back into normal mode.

NOTE: The difference between method 1 and 2 is: Method 1 lets you continue your failed operations, while Method 2 simply brings phone into normal mode.

Method 3

To restore your phone, you need to put it into recovery or DFU mode first. Please take the following steps:

1. Make sure phone is connected to computer and is displaying “BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0”
2. Disconnect phone from computer
3. Power off phone (press and hold both Power and Home buttons)
4. Start iTunes and iLiberty+
5. Hold Home and connect phone to computer (don’t release Home)
6. Wait till iTunes reports a device in recovery mode is detected, release Home
7. Use iLiberty+ to put phone into DFU mode (in Other Tools)
8. Use iTunes to restore

32 Comments

1. Tung
    Posted April 9, 2008 at 9:38 am | Permalink

i followed the steps of method 2, but when i restored my iPhone by iTunes, it was at (1064) error. I don’t know how to continue because now my iPhone can’t not be restore and has no basebad. Help me !!

2. Posted April 9, 2008 at 11:49 am | Permalink

@Tung, the 2nd method will not touch your baseband, if your baseband is empty, it must have happened before you try the 2nd method. In such cases, use the DFU method to restore.

3. Rausch
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 1:41 am | Permalink

How great it is to see this as I attempted to use iliberty to do all 5 options to my newly purchased iphone last night, and this exact same thing happened – perfect timing. I will try these methods as soon as I get home today….

But if I use the easiest method (serial commands, iphuc), where exactly do I pick up again in the process? Should I then restore my phone before trying to unlock/activate/jalbreak/etc. again or go right into it?

thanks george!

4. Rausch
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Also, any idea of the success rate of method 1, or is it just likely to run into the same problem again?

5. Nguyen
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Wow, thank you very much, you just save my life. I though I would through my phone in the trash can. thank you very much.

6. Steve
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 6:55 am | Permalink

so if I use method 1 (where I click “go for it” in iliberty+ with only “jailbreak” selected), will it automatically resume completing all of the other actions that I had originally selected (activate, unlock, etc.), or just the jailbreak as is now selected?

Thanks for the help, the timing of this helpful solution could not have been better, I will continue using this site as long as I have my iphone

7. yarite
    Posted April 10, 2008 at 7:16 am | Permalink

I have just completed method 3 and itunes is restoring my phone. when should I close iliberty+? I am concerned/curious that/if it will hold my iphone in a DFU state when it shouldn’t be any more

8. Posted April 10, 2008 at 8:26 am | Permalink

@Rausch, if you use iPHUC to bring it back, it will not continue from the last failure point, so the pass2 will not be fired up, but the payload you have uploaded stays there. If you want to continue the last process, fire up iLiberty+ and “Go for it” without selecting any payload, it’ll pick up the old payload and continue.

@Steve, yes, it’ll continue to execute your last selected payloads, not only the jailbreak.

9. Posted April 10, 2008 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

man! thanks a lot!!! it was really shocking when it happened, i thought i finished my phone! as per current status itunes is restoring firmware, the choice 1 does not work, so I switched to DFU mode to restore firmware!
    thanks.

10. ailhan
    Posted April 13, 2008 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

I tried the method 1 and than restored with itunes, but itunes couldnt complate the restore, I tried so many times also used the other methods, now my iphone is only opening in recovery mod, and cant do anything else, please help me!

11. Suriya
    Posted April 25, 2008 at 12:36 am | Permalink

For those who face this problem.
    I have purchased a new iphone in UK, which is still have firmware 1.1.2. When I first try to unlock using iliberty+ 1.3.0.113. I always ended up with the “BSD Root: md0, major 2, minor 0” problem using choice 1 and 2. However after I chose to use chice 4 to restore and up my firmware to 1.1.4, the problem is gone, I can unlock it easily. I don’t know why but certainly it works as I am currently using this same method with my friend newly purchased iphone.
    Hope this help.

12. Scoudli
    Posted April 25, 2008 at 4:44 am | Permalink

I have a problem..
    My iphone stay in recovery mode et iliberty write “booting ramdisk”
    When i do restore the iphone respond but he come back in recovery mode every time…
    The power button do not work…
    The power goes on only when the iphone is plugged on USB.

Sorry for my bad english…

Best regards

13. billholland
    Posted April 29, 2008 at 2:59 am | Permalink

thanks so much george you are the greatest, however i’m having some of the same problems as the rest. latest problem is after running iliberty+ my iliberty fails and stays at booting ramdisks, i watched the screen during the jail break and everything was a fatal error. Ive tried to do method two custom ramdisk, the phone responded but it is still in recovery mode… any suggerstions? for all users who cann’t restore using itunes just keep trying, i had all those same problems… it helps to have a working at&t sim card in, also try having the phone disconnected from itunes and alternate the power and home button until the screen turns black then try an itunes restore… i also have had success with using the dock connector pluged into the wall then transfering it to the computer… also alternate trying dfu mode… with phone connected to itunes hold power and home until itunes disconnects device, let go of power and keep holding home until the device comes back up in itunes… it is important to hold the power and home even after the screen turns black, make sure itunes disconnects before letting the power button go….. well good luck and dont give up, i didnt think it was possibly to restore it in itunes either but after multiple failures ill get one success, i just cant get a good jailbreak and unlock to be successful.

14. billholland
    Posted April 29, 2008 at 3:06 am | Permalink

latest attempt , just jailbreak while in recovery mode, says invalid node, invalid b tree size???? any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

15. billholland
    Posted April 30, 2008 at 4:39 am | Permalink

ok, i really need help now.. lol last try, i decided to use ziphone 3.0 and deleted the baseband, i restored eventually with itunes and retried jailbreaing with ziphone, and got the lastest error of singleuser boot — fsc not done
    Root device is mounted read-only

if you want to make modifications to files: /sbin/fsm -fy /sbin/mount -uw /

if you wish to boot the system: exit

april 29 20:37:21 launch[129]:cant exec/bin/sh for single user: exec format er ror

any help would be so very appreciated!!!

16. jhosimar
    Posted May 6, 2008 at 10:36 am | Permalink

will it work on a 8gb iphone if i use the latest version or theirs somethinf else to do

17. james
    Posted May 18, 2008 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

hi i used metod 3 and all is working now. but…. my fone will not make calls and will not recive anything. there is no conection to my o2 sim. it just says iphone cannot make or receive calls. any help would be awsome.

18. hey
    Posted May 21, 2008 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

hey wtf man i followed iclarity’s guide for this pos iliberty, checked the youtube fix, and guess what. it broke my youtube. now i’m doing the whole restore deal. this whole process better not ruin my baseband ssd or whatever. don’t use this outdated pos. use winpwn.

19. shadmehr
    Posted June 5, 2008 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks everybody, i had the same problem on my ipod touch and after restarting by pressing both ipod keys, my ipod showed graphic mode again !

20. Andrea
    Posted June 12, 2008 at 4:03 am | Permalink

Dude, thank you very much for this. It’s been driving me crazy and I started worrying, and this solved all of my problems. Thank you a lot.

21. Sonix
    Posted June 12, 2008 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Thank you so much!!!!! Your awesome!! WOOOOOT!

22. Jake G
    Posted June 16, 2008 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I messed up the ziphone download onto my Iphone, not ipod touch, and it is also stuck on
    BSD root: major 2, minor 0
    but I need to keep a lot of the pictures and contacts on my phone,
    is there a way to fix the problem without restoring the whole phone?

23. stanley
    Posted June 20, 2008 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Hey George,

I tried numerous times to unlock my phone using iliberty+ but it always freezes @ checking bootloader version. My phone now has no imei, iccd, and now says need repair. Some say my baseband is wiped, andI tried restoring, but I keep getting the 1011 error, even in dfu mode. Can u, or anyone here help me Please. Thanx in advance

24. Arpita
    Posted June 24, 2008 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

George,

Suddenly my touch screen stop working , I can not use phone at all. Incoming calls are coming but I can not pickup call. Is there any way to repair touch screen with ssh.

Thanks
    Arpita

25. bonn
    Posted August 6, 2008 at 2:47 am | Permalink

I can’t get my iPhone to work.
    Software used for now Ziphone, iLiberty ibrick…but it isnt helpfull.
    Ok, when i click “Jailbreak” alone the iPhone makes all the features active that iPod has, works for all options but only not for SIM, there is no mobile network, no-wifi, no BT, no IMEI. The Camera, ipod, are working. Here is a picture.

Here is a problem image :
    This message appers everytime:[img]
    And this is the about information
    [img]http://www.imagecross.com/01/image-hosting-view-04.php?id=8062DSC00243.JPG[/img]

I belive it is a bsd error, if everyone know how to repair it please contact me here on pm or email bonnos.rx@gmail.com
    Peace ppl.

Update : I think i deteled the baseband. When i Try Jailbreak,Unloack&Activate it’s stops in the proccess i turn it off and then displays this message “BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0.
    then i recover it with iTunes and Jailbreak and it works, but not the sim. so what do i need to do now… please if somebody can i will give him remote access to my pc..mail me bonnos.rx@gmail.com

26. paria
    Posted August 9, 2008 at 2:34 am | Permalink

dear George,
    my problem is that when i want to use any of your methods o choices, my ipod Touch stayes in Recovery Mode for about 7-8minutes and then gets “disconnected”! i didnt touch anything or do anything, it just suddenly disconnects! please please help meeee…pleeeaaasssssse

27. ryan
    Posted August 19, 2008 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

hey i was wondering if there is any other way of getting your ipod into recovery mode besides holding the home and sleep buttons. Cause my home button has been very shitty lately and i need to like press it a very specific way for it to register. And i have been trying for hours and the ipod just will not go into recovery mode let alone take the first step and power down. Please help me.

28. ameen
    Posted September 20, 2008 at 5:24 am | Permalink

im trying to turn off my uphone bt its not working, it keeps giving me BSd root etc.. till the battery die, im pressing the home and power bottons bt nothing seems to work, any sugestions??

29. devinedj
    Posted September 30, 2008 at 3:40 am | Permalink

@ ameen, hold home n sleep UNTIL you see the recovery symbol (itunes logo n USB or yellow triangle) comes up. Then let go and restore in itunes…

30. Igor
    Posted October 30, 2008 at 1:38 am | Permalink

George, I need a way to recover an iphone without losing the user partition… I`m looking for something like your emergency ramdisk, but making a dd from iphone flash disk to the computer by the USB cable… could you help? Sorry my poor English.

31. Gianni
    Posted February 20, 2009 at 4:07 am | Permalink

my ipod touch is in bds mode and the home button does not work what do i do to restore please help

32. anurag